Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Blog Post 10

One thing just right off the bat is that I have noticed through my observations and re-reading through the blogs is that the best teachers were the ones with the most enthusiasm because the students can pick up on this and will be in the same mood that the teacher is in.  One belief that I had shaken throughout the whole overall experience was that at Green Elementary school.  What took me by surprise the most was the lack of wall and just lockers separating the classrooms, but the fact that it appeared to be working and the students in each class were able to focus even if other rooms were being too loud.  It makes me believe that as long as the students want to learn and the teachers want to teach, all the students can focus. 
One thing that I did not consider was how much a student’s home life could affect their school lives.  After reading the articles and books it was clear to see that all students have their own crosses to bear.  If a student’s first language is not English or they do not speak English in a clear or concise way then they are not wrong for it.  A student should not be judged based on this or be told they are wrong because they are not.   If the students are told they are wrong for speaking this way then it could really damage them and make them think that their parents are wrong and everything they know up to that point has been wrong.   It is the environment of their home that they bring into school and the teachers need to understand that it is not the choice of a student to not be able to speak as well as they can and they have to accept this and try to adapt to help themselves and the students.
I still believe that homophobia and heterosexism are problems in school, but ones that can be solved.  I myself do have the solution but I do believe that one day these barriers will be broken down.  The solution that I can think of is just not to judge anyone in any way you would not want to be judged.  If I ever saw it happen in a school I taught at I would make sure to stop it immediately and talk to the students about it and try to find a solution.  Never having experienced it in my own high school (I’m not saying that everyone got along, because there were conflicts) but no one in my school was ever mean to a person just because they were different like that.  Everyone for the most part got along with one another and if you didn’t like someone then you just did not talk to that person.
One belief that I had that changed was the use of post-it notes to help with reading.  I am still doing this for other classes since we first did it in this class because I believe that it helps a lot not only to focus but to mark important information and take a small note about it.  To focus on the content area of what the notes were next to, I did not know there was a difference between problem posing and banking education.  I received the problem posing type of education and am very thankful because it seems extremely superior to the banking.  Taking teachers who care to get to know the students and work with them and not just throw information at them can make or break them as a student.  Having the problem posing style made me want to learn and has brought me to this point in my life and I hope to have the same impact on my students one day.
I still have the same belief as in blog post 7, I feel the exact same way and I know that this will never change for me “A teacher is not just a person who relays information from a textbook to a student, a teacher is a person who can make connections to the student’s lives and help them become the people they will be for the rest of their lives.”  I will try to live up to and by my words throughout my career as a teacher.
With the individual experiences and taking notes from William Ayers I believe that the most important thing a teacher can do is learn from their mistakes, as well as the things they do right.  I observed many different classrooms with different styles of desk arrangements and they all seemed to work well for the teachers.  My favorite was from Cleveland Heights High School when I saw the classroom in a big circle of desks so that he could stand in the middle and the whole class would be discussion based.  I hope to try this in my classroom one day to see if it will work for me, but if it doesn’t then I know that I can change it and will adapt to the different environments.

My beliefs have generally stayed the same throughout the course but experiencing different classes and grade levels has been quite the experience for me.  I have learned a lot just through this introductory education class and I do hope to continue down this path further to one day become a history teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment