Sunday, February 15, 2015

Blog Post 5

In the high school that I attended (a Catholic all boys high school) the matters of homophobia and heterosexism did not really matter.  Neither seemed to be a big problem in the school.  If you did not like someone for any reason at all you simply did not talk to them, no one ever spoke out against any group and there were no fights or anything of that nature.  If there was a problem then it was not even noticeable, people just went through their day and everything was normal.  It did not matter if you were gay or straight everyone just did their own thing and there were no problems from anyone.  

In class we discussed moving the age of a person becoming a legal adult to the age of 10 or 14 to give them more rights.  Although I think this would be a bad idea because a 14 year old and especially a 10 year old would not be able to make the decisions a 18 year old or older would be able to make but I do believe that children of this age should be able to begin to form their own opinions on different matters.  A child of this age can begin to decide how to act with homophobia and heterosexism and feel however they want to because even though they aren't 18 they still have a human right to think however they want to.  I hope that when I am a teacher all of my students get along and homophobia and heterosexism are no longer problems and I would work with students to make sure that it is not but if some students believe differently then that is their opinion and I have to respect that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment