Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 6

The post it note experiment made me pay more attention to the reading and think deeper about the subjects at hand.  When I read, sometimes I just go through the pages and let my mind wander to different things but the post it notes helped me to focus.  As i was reading through the pages of the book and making notes i noticed that i did not receive the "banking" form of education.  It seemed strange to me to read about how teachers do not care about their students and just throw information at them instead of taking the time to make sure their students understand what they are doing.  I wrote on several post it notes "Never happened in my schools" and "No teachers acted like this for me."  I did not know if the book would go over how a teacher would be able to include their students into the lessons and do more than teach but to make sure their students learned through examples and trial and error, but the following pages showed me the other type of education, like the one i received.  When I came across the pages about the education I had, i wrote a note saying "my teachers helped me to adapt" which i do believe is true.  Although there are some bad teachers i do believe there are just as many, if not more that are trying to do the right thing.  The "problem-posing" teaching is the way i was taught and i am very glad it was this way.  I feel like i learned a lot more with teachers who would help the students by giving us freedom instead of trying to take over and throw information at us.  Students learn more critically when the student no longer is seen as a student but a c-investigator, and i know this is the way i will work with my students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment